We have a selection of around 10,000 homes throughout North Lincolnshire. These are spread throughout the region but most homes are in Scunthorpe and the surrounding towns and villages.
How we rent our homes
The way we rent our homes is through something called Choice Based Lettings (CBL), a national initiative that brings local councils and hosing associations together to jointly advertise homes available for rent.
North Lincolnshire Homes is part of Home Choice Lincs, a partnership between us, North Lincolnshire Council, North East Lincolnshire Council, Shoreline Housing Partnership Ltd and Longhurst and Havelok Homes.
How does Home Choice Lincs work?
Home Choice Lincs (HCL) is similar to the way an estate agent works by allowing home seekers to see a range of home available for rent in North and North East Lincolnshire accessed in one place.
The process is a fair and clear way of allocating homes with one single efficient route for finding a home and with all home seekers treated the same way by all partner housing providers.
This scheme also gives home seekers more choice and information about homes that may be available to them throughout the whole of Northern Lincolnshire offering you better opportunities to find a home you want and need.
NB. The Housing Allocations Policy is changing on 30th January 2013. You can read a summary of the changes here or read the full revised policy on the HCL website.
So how do I apply for a home?
Assessing your priorty band
Almost all questions we are asked relate to priority banding. Home Choice Lics have a dedicated section on their website explaining how it works.
There are several steps to apply for one of our homes through Home Choice Lincs:
- You can apply online at Home Choice Lincs to join the housing register; you only need to apply once to be considered for homes across North and North East Lincolnshire
- Your housing and support needs are assessed
- If accepted onto the register you become a home seeker
- You are allocated a priority band which tells you what properties you are able to bid for
- You can view properties online and choose a home from a list of available properties in your allocated band in the area you want to live
- You make a bid online, by telephone or by sending a text message
- You will be able to make up to three bids a week for homes you are able to bid for
- If you are successful the landlord of that property will contact you to arrange a viewing
- You decide if the home is right for you before accepting the tenancy
- If it is right, then once the tenancy is agreed it's time to move in!
For more information about the scheme and to get bidding, please visit the Home Choice Lincs website.
Can I exchange my current property with another tenant?
Yes, subject to certain conditions. For more information please contact us.
We recommend a service called HomeSwapper, a website which matches your needs with others to ensure the perfect exchange.
I have some more questions
That's understandable, the process can be quite complicated and most frustration comes from not knowing all the facts. Thankfully, most questions you may have are likely to have already been asked by others. That's why Home Choice Lincs have set up a Frequently Asked Questions page on their website which will hopefully help you.
Questions about priority banding
Our most frequently asked questions relate to how the priorty banding works. Often, applicants feel their needs are more serious than their banding suggests.
If so, you can request a review of decisions made by Home Choice Lincs within 21 days of the date you are notifed of the decision and the reason for it.
To request a review you need to contact Home Choice Lincs, NOT North Lincolnshire Homes.
You may provide additional information in writing that you wish to be taken into account when the review is carried out. You will normally be advised of the outcome of the review within 8 weeks. You may not request a further review.
Useful Contact Information